I’m a designer and typographer. I co-founded Fontdeck, and help organisations like the BBC with web typography. I design products, interfaces, and branding from Mild Bunch HQ, the co-working studio I founded in Bristol, UK. Sometimes, I’m lucky enough to write for design publications like Typographica, and talk at conferences like An Event Apart.
I’m a member of the International Society of Typographic Designers. My work and prose has featured in publications like I Love Typography, 8 Faces, .Net magazine, The Manual, and in books like Hardboiled Web Design (Five Simple Steps), Fluid Web Typography (New Riders), and The Principles Of Beautiful Web Design (SitePoint).
If there is anything more you wish to know after all that rather formal (and uncomfortably narcissistic-feeling) blurb, you may wish to read more human prose in the form of my personal note or Seven Things log entry.
- Ready to Inspire. 10–12 Jun, 2014, in Leiden, The Netherlands.
- WXG. 24 Sep, 2014, at G Live in Guildford, UK.
- An Event Apart, Disney World (Special Edition). 27–29 Oct, 2014, at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- An Event Apart, San Diego. 20–22 May, 2013, at San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina, San Diego, USA.
- An Event Apart, Atlanta. 18–20 Feb, 2013, at the InterContinental hotel, Atlanta, USA.
- New Adventures in Web Design — 23–25 Jan, 2013, at The Albert Hall, Nottingham, UK.
- An Event Apart, San Francisco. 12–14 Nov, 2012, at The Palace Hotel, San Francisco, USA.
- An Event Apart, San Francisco — Big Type, Little Type. 12–14 Nov, 2012, at The Palace Hotel, San Francisco, USA.
- Interlink — Revert to Type. 2–3 Jun, 2012, at UBC Robson Square, Vancouver, CA.
- Future of Web Design Web Typography, The Good Bits. 14–16 May, 2012, at The Brewery, London, UK.
- An Event Apart, Seattle — Big Type, Little Type 02–04 Apr, 2012 at Pier 66, Bell Harbour, Seattle. USA.
- Beyond Tellerand — Welcome to the brave new world of web type (closing talk) 20–22 Nov, 2011 at Capitol Theatre, Düsseldorf, Geermany.
- Insites Tour — Storytelling Q&A; 21st Jul, 2011.
- Ampersand — Screen First; 17 Jun, 2011, Brighton, UK.
- Creative co-operatives — Q&A; Feb, 2011 at The Watershed, Bristol, UK.
- New Adventures in Web Design — Language and the Lizard Brain; Jan, 2011 in Nottingham, UK.
- Ulster Festival of Art & Design — Talking Typography at the University of Ulster, June, 2010.
- Bathcamp — First Things First; Bath, UK. March, 2010.
- OSCON ’09 — Grokkin’ Design; San Jose, California.
- SxSW ’09 — Quit bitchin’ and get your glyph on! Austin, Texas.
- SkillSwap — 80% science, 20% art; Jan, 2009.
- OSCON ’08 — Experience-driven development; Portland, USA.
- Web Typography with Mark Boulton and Rich Rutter (in progress).
- Editor, Smashing Book, typography chapter.
Articles and interviews:
- Typographica’s favorite typefaces of 2011 — FS Pimlico review
- A List Apart, December 2011 — What I Learned About the Web in 2011 with others
- One Two, One Two, Microphone Check, November 2011 — Cultural makers questionnaires à la Proust: Jon Tan
- Design Festival Podcast #6, June 2011 — Typography with Jon Tan
- The Setup, June 2011 — Jon Tan
- .Net Magazine, April 2011 — Fontdeck co-founder Jon Tan on web fonts
- New Adventures Newspaper, January 2011 — Jack A Nory article.
- Smashing Book 2, 2011 — interview.
- .Net magazine, issue 206, September 2010 — interview.
- 8 Faces magazine, issue 1, July 2010 — interview
- Pique Web., May, 2010 — Inaugural podcast, May, 2010
- 24 Ways — A festive type folly, December, 2008.